Expert advice before you sign your building contract.
The building contract is a very important, legally binding document that requires a complete understanding prior to signing. Investing in a building contract review in Geelong is an important step in setting your project up to be a success and improving your overall building experience.
We will ensure that your contract is in line with industry standards, provide advice on items that require clarification and ensure that you feel confident before you commit to one of the biggest financial contracts of your life. Our contract reviews are completed by a Registered Building Practitioner and are inclusive of all documentation relevant to your building project i.e. drawings, engineering details and specifications.
After we’ve reviewed your domestic building contract and supporting documentation, you can rest assured that we are here to answer any questions and provide support throughout your build with independent building inspections at each stage.
Typical contracts include New Homes Contract, Home Improvement Contract, Cost Plus Contract, and Minor Works Contract.
Contract Reviews are desktop-based and therefore can be utilised for projects Victoria-wide.
Why get an independent contract review?
- Impartial and independent advice from Geelong building contract experts to help you through the process
- Significantly reduce the likelihood of disputes and stress during construction
- Protect and understand your rights and ensure you are aware of your responsibilities
- Clarify any discrepancies between your contract documents
- We will walk you through each section of the contract, explaining the terms and clauses so you have a clear understanding of all the information
- Once signed, any changes to your contract can result in costly variations, no matter how small the change is
- Retain your rights to a cooling-off period: The Domestic Building Contracts Act states that if you appoint “an Australian legal practitioner” to review your documentation, you “cannot withdraw from a contract”. We are building professionals, therefore the five day cooling-off period still applies
What do our building contract reviews include?
- Domestic Building Insurance and what it covers
- Owner responsibilities and builder obligations
- Overall building costs
- Ensure progress payment schedules are as per the Domestic Building Contract Act
- Check estimated amounts for Prime Cost items and Provisional Sums are realistic
- Length of time for the build
- Inclusions and Exclusions
- Variation process and possible hidden charges
- Architectural floor plans and elevations, engineering, electrical, plumbing drawings and builder specifications
- Specification clauses that are not compliant with the Building Code of Australia and relevant Australian Standards
- Outline clauses within the specification that do not meet the VBA’s Guide to Standards and Tolerances 2015
- Dispute, defect and delay processes
Have peace of mind knowing that your building contract has been thoroughly reviewed by an expert Manse Group Building Consultant. Manse Group also conduct independent building inspections for new homes throughout Geelong, the Surfcoast, Bellarine and the surrounding areas. For more information on how we can make your build better, contact us today!